Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Broccoli Mac and Cheese - Review



Broccoli Mac and Cheese was our "new" recipe of the week. It was slightly over rated. You can find the full recipe here.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it was good, but it was Mac and Cheese with broccoli in it.

This is how you make the sauce:

In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat about 2 minutes, add flour and cook another minute, or until the flour is golden and well combined. Add milk and chicken broth and whisk, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil; cook about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and thick.Season with salt and pepper.

Something about making my own sauce made me feel like a badass, but it also made me feel like I would have A LOT of dishes left over. And I'd rather feel mediocre with a one pot to clean than feel like Martha Stewart with a ton of dishes left over. Call me crazy.

I'm usually pretty harsh on pasta dishes though. I mean, I literally could have just taken a bag of pasta, dumped some sauce on it, thrown some veggies in, and called it dinner. That would take 15 mins, top. Instead I was boiling water, making rue, chopping veggies, simmering sauce, and then BAKING the entire dish...

I hate cooking things more than once. Why... Just why?

So, while it was good, we probably won't be making this again. If it's your thing, go for it. But I have two kids tugging at my legs begging for food... Rue making isn't for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment