Saturday, February 15, 2014

SuperMom: Valentine's Edition

I've read all these blog posts recently about not being a supermom. About being anti-pinterest. About not having the pressure put on us to be perfect.

I agree, most days I wear the uniform of my people: yoga pants and a sweatshirt with some kind of encrusted cookie on a sleeve somewhere. Doing a craft or making a snack together is the last thing on my mind those days and the countdown to nap time and when Mr. M finally gets home from work is always ticking away in my head.

But sometimes it feels so dang good to be SuperMom. And you know what, I'm going to brag about it on the rare occasions that I actually get to wear the cape and be the coolest Mom on the planet.

This week was Valentine's week and I took the opportunity to do some fun things to keep Big busy. We made Valentine's day cards on Monday and I was only planning on doing things on days I didn't have to work (M-W-F). Instead, we ended up staying busy the whole week! We had a blast. Big kept busy and enjoyed doing something new each day and it was fun to fill our morning with something more than Elmo and Big Bird.



We crushed up some old crayons -- Okay, we used already crushed up crayons because Big has a crayon braking (and eating) habit - to make some fun cute heart crayons. We used a silicone IKEA heart ice cube tray and baked them at 150 degrees for about an hour. Plan on throwing out (or save it for other non-food crafts) your tray though. These were only a buck so I didn't mind. I imagine you could spend time figuring out a way to clean them, but it wasn't worth it to me. Then we colored Spiderman with heart crayons. Yup! 


We baked a super big heart cake by splitting a box cake mix into a round and square cake pan. Big's favorite part was adding the icing, licking the spatula, and adding more icing... Good thing it was just for us to eat. Then we covered it in sprinkles and surprised Dad when he got home! 



And we had a special peanut butter and sprinkle lunch on Valentine's Day! I even heart bombed Mr's car and the boys' doors after nap. I don't know why, but I was really feeling it this year for Valentine's Day. I took it as an opportunity to do something fun and out of the ordinary each day this week, and I think everyone really enjoyed it. 

Now back to my cookie encrusted sweats and Elmo. ;) 

1 comment :

  1. Cookie encrusted is keeping it PG. We all know what its really encrusted with...i.e. snot.

    ReplyDelete