Monday, February 3, 2014

Spending Freeze February

Last year, we started Spending Freeze February in the Mouse House. We decided that we would make a conscious effort not to buy anything extra for the whole month in an attempt to evaluate our spending habits and kick off the year with building our savings on our mind. Last year we did great! I originally saw this idea as a no-spend January to kick off the new year, but I knew that would be difficult since we have a birthday in January. February is also a short month, so it makes the goal seem more attainable. However, this year, I want to quit already.

It's not that I really want to go out and spend money, but I just feel like this year it's harder. We have friends who are about to move out of state and I don't want to not do things with them for the sake of meeting a goal of saving money. In fact, one of those friends had a birthday dinner last night, and of course we went. We knew this going into the month and decided to budget for the dinner, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but I just feel that it started us out on the wrong 'saving' foot.

Mr and I also caught a nasty bug this past week also, making our ability to meal plan and grocery shop this weekend impossible, so there's that. I just don't feel like I have the time or energy (or stomach) to even think about food and that's a major way we plan out our spending. Sigh.

I shouldn't be jumping into the month already thinking we are 'failing' at our freeze, but I'm just trying to be practical here. Sometimes things just don't work out the way we plan, and that's fine. That being said, Mr is still on board with the spending freeze. It's great that whenever one of us is lacking in something, the other is there to pull up support for the situation.

We will get through this spending 'freeze' but I don't think we will be as strict as we were last year with it. I'm just being honest. But who knows, I'm sure by next week Mr will be wanting to buy things off EBay and I'll have to be the voice of 'freeze' reason.

No comments :

Post a Comment