Friday, August 19, 2016

Summer UnSchool

As a teacher, I'm always looking for opportunities to teach our kids. But I also teach for a living, so sit-down-do-this just isn't my style with my little people. Nor is it THEIR style.

We don't even plan a lesson daily, or weekly. I just look for fun things that we can do to increase their learning. And that's cool with me.

This year, our Wreck This Journal has been a source of education and fun this summer. This week we did ONE page. One. That's it. They're 3 and 4, folks. I really just want them to practice sitting at a table and following directions.

Last year, I'd pull up Pinterest and would find a quick and easy craft to do based on something they were interested in that day (like that one time ANTS infiltrated our home so we made a A anthill with finger prints and we learned that they don't have ears). I just keep markers and dollar store construction paper on hand. Boom.

Bur this year, we just flip to a WTJ page and follow instructions. Cam didn't want to come, so Car and I stated without him. Car really just wanted to dump water into our water colors... that's cool too, I guess. So I started putting fingerprints on our page and closing it up  (hello, symmetry lesson!)

Soon Car joined in and Cam became jealous enough to come help too.

We mixed colors (hello, art and color lessons), added water (dilution!), and made a mess (no lesson there... but they liked it.)

Sometimes I'll search Netflix for a show that complements something we learned. I love that Magic School Bus and Bill Nye are available! And a quick Google search helps me find one fast!

So, I'm just trying to keep it fun. And EASY. We probably spend less than 20 mins doing an activity.

Because I've got coffee to drink and lunch to make before the little lady wakes up from her nap! ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment